Library gremlin and Entangled Minds

I received an interesting email from a reader. I've heard many similar stories over the years about the "Library Angel" (also referred to as a gremlin, demon or fairy, depending on your prediliction). This Trickster-like gremlin causes books to fall out of shelves in front of you, or on top of you, apparently to force you to pay attention to something that you are seeking but keep overlooking.

The reader writes: "You and I were introduced in a most unusual way today. I was in Barnes and Nobles today in San Diego. I was standing in front of the shelves of books in the new age section. I saw a couple of books fall from the shelf and in very quick automatic response I held my right hand out to catch them.

"You can imagine my surprise when I realized there were no books falling. I was left with a feeling of where the heck are these books. I KNOW I saw it fall.

"I studied this event for a few minutes trying to figure out what happened. I traced my arm movements and zoomed in on the spot from where the books fell. I pulled a book from the shelf that looked like the books that I saw falling.

"It was Entangled Minds.

"I sat down and read thru the book with great interest. There were several other events shortly after that that I felt were related because of similarities"

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow. If that's happening in bookstores all over the country, you might have bestseller. It's a lot cheaper than hiring a publicist at five grand a month.
Anonymous said…
There seems to be almost a playful aspect to some of these reports. One would discount them as hoaxes except that in some cases they are well-documented with many witnesses. I am thinking of that episode in the Miami warehouse when goods were flying off the shelves. Several dozen people were brought in and could find no explaination. What really got to me were the reports that nothing would drop off the shelf when a witness was looking in that direction -- as soon as they turned their backs, something would drop. What are your theories, Dr. Radin?
Dean Radin said…
These episodes may be viewed as contemporary examples of Trickster behavior. A good book on psi and the trickster archetype is The Trickster and the Paranormal by George Hansen.

I sometimes think of psi as arising out of a shimmering boundary that separates the purely objective from the purely subjective. In that "psychoid" realm, to use Carl Jung's term, the imaginal and the real tend to blur. This makes purely objective study of these phenomena challenging (but not impossible, as I show in the book).
Anonymous said…
I told my friends this book is heavy.

Popular posts from this blog

Show me the evidence

Feeling the future meta-analysis

Skeptic agrees that remote viewing is proven